ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif yesterday reaffirmed commitment to cooperation with India for probe into the Pathankot terror attack and elimination of terrorism from the region.
The commitment came at a high-level meeting held under his chair at Prime Minister’s House, a second such huddle in the last one week to discuss the issue.
The meeting condemned terrorism in all its forms and manifestations and expressed the resolve that Pakistan would not allow use of its soil for terror activities and extend all-out help to the neighbouring countries in eradication of this menace.
Soon after the Pathankot attack, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif who was in Sri Lanka at that time phoned his Indian counterpart Narendra Modi and gave him firm assurance to extend complete help in the probe, besides sympathising with him on the loss of security personnel’s lives.
The meeting noted with satisfaction that Pakistan’s counter-terrorism campaign had made significant gains and that the country’s entire leadership and institutions were working in complete harmony to counter terrorism and extremism.
The people of Pakistan have evolved a political consensus for action against all terrorists and terror organizations without any discrimination.
They have also resolved that no terrorist will be allowed to use Pakistan’s soil for committing terrorism anywhere in the world.
The meeting also discussed the Pathankot attack and condemned this incident, besides reiterating Pakistan’s commitment to cooperation with India to completely eradicate the menace of terrorism afflicting the region.
In line with Pakistan’s commitment to effectively counter and eradicate terrorism, the meeting reviewed the progress made on the information provided by India.
It was decided to remain in touch with the Indian government in this regard.
The meeting expressed the confidence the two countries would remain committed to a sustained, meaningful and comprehensive dialogue process, maintaining the goodwill generated by the recent high-level contacts.
The meeting was attended by Chief of Army Staff General Raheel Sharif, Finance Minister Ishaq Dar, Interior Minister Ch Nisar Ali Khan, Adviser to Prime Minister on Foreign Affairs Sartaj Aziz, Special Assistant to Prime Minister on Foreign Affairs Tariq Fatemi, National Security Adviser Lt-Gen (r) Nasser Khan Janjua, ISI DG Lt-Gen Rizwan Akhtar, Foreign Secretary Aizaz Ahmad Chaudhry and DG Military Operations Maj-Gen Sahir Shamshad Mirza.
The development came a day after India called on Pakistani authorities for “prompt and decisive” action against militants it blames for the weekend attack that killed seven Indian military personnel and wounded 22.
India says it gave Pakistan “specific and actionable information” regarding the Pathankot airbase attack on Tuesday.
The fate of the foreign secretary-level talks rested on Pakistan’s response to the information, Indian government spokesman Vikas Swarup said on Thursday.
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Nawaz Sharif have been struggling to keep their renewed dialogue, announced last month, on track in the wake of the attack.
Attempts to restart talks between India and Pakistan, who have fought three wars since becoming separate countries in 1947, have often been derailed by similar past attacks.
Pakistan’s leadership on Friday said it hoped “the two countries would remain committed to a sustained, meaningful and comprehensive dialogue process” in the wake of the attack.
Published in The Nation newspaper on 09-Jan-2016